Sometimes on your project you work and work and work, and not much seems to happen. Other times, like last night, you work a bit and BANG! Big leap forward.
We started the night with the motor mount bolted on the firewall. Our Lord mounts for the engine arrived from Aircraft Spruce so we had what we needed to hang the engine.
The great part about a group build is you don’t need an engine hoist, just muscle it into place.
With the lower cowl duct taped in place, time for some fitting and trimming.
Tracey eyeing up the cowling.
Lots of fitting to go but starting to look pretty good.
Tracey laying out where the cowl fasteners will go.
Jerry drilling the holes so we can cleco it into place.
Jim adding the clecos.
Bang! A big step forward toward a completed airplane!
Last week I was at the Sebring Sport Aviation Expo but the usual suspects were continuing on the project. Here is a catch up post to bring you up to date.
Just like every project, there is always a fair amount of head scratching involved. One of the advantages of a group project is you can always talk it over with another builder. Here Matt and Jerry try to determine the next step on root wing structure.
Dick installed the wing tips on the both wings
Matt has been working in the cabin area on the control stick torque tube.
Grinding the collar that captures the torque tube. Matt has put some duct tape on the steel part to protect it while holding it with the vise grips.
Tim helping Jerry work on the lock mechanism for the doors. There are 3 latches that operated from the door handle. It takes a bit of fiddling to get them installed just right.
Jim and Tim determining the routing of the fuel lines to the gascolator.
The new year started with good progress on the Zenith. A big milestone was achieved by bolting the motor mount to the firewall.
The pitot tube was also on our list for installing.
Tom started the installation of the pitot tube by step drilling a large hole.
Drilling holes for the pitot tube.
Jim worked on some access holes for running various wiring and controls.
Jerry continued to work on the door latch mechanisms. They now operate smoothly.
The first step to fitting the motor mount was to grind off some of the steel feet to allow the motor mount to rest against the firewall.
Here is a good hint to file away. We used a ratchet strap looped through the cockpit and around the motor mount to hold the mount in place while we adjusted it.
Tracy drilling the initial marks that were transferred from the holes already in the firewall.
Up-drilling the final holes.
Tracy and Charlie installing the nuts and bolts for the motor mount.
This week before Christmas saw a very small crew in the EAA Weeks hangar to work on the Zenith. Fear not, work still commences and progress made. Jim has been hard at work on the seats, along with Charlie. Getting the adjustable seats fit to the cabin takes a bit more time than the standard seats, but I think all will agree that it will be worth it in the end.
We had a special visitor to the project late last week when Abby from Flightline Interiors in Wind Lake, WI drove up to pick up one of our seat frames. Abby has built a fantastic business in support of the Van’s RV series airplanes and is now looking to make a great interior for the Zenith 750. Thank you so much for your support!
Jerry and Jen worked on getting the doors fitted along with the latching mechanism. Things are looking good there!
I worked on wiring the elevator trim servo so all that needs to be done there is run the wire forward through the fuselage.
And finally last night, we got a look at the engine mount and figuring where to make some initial trims.
Until the new year is upon us, Happy Holidays from the EAA Staff Zenith 750 builders!